Sunday, May 20, 2007

Art Appreciation

I admit that I'm not one to appreciate all-things art. To me, a canvas with a single stripe of paint isn't necessarily art with someone's deep, inner spiritual meaning of life. I just have a difficult time with that.

I know it's all about styles and preferences. I suppose my preference is a PICTURE of something . . . anything, as long as it is even a somewhat recognizable object. I say this somewhat in jest, as I do like a few modern artists such as Gregg Robinson and I can even appreciate the abstract work of Salvadore DalĂ­.

My art appreciation was tested this weekend at the Guggenheim Museum, Metropolitan Museum of Art and the International Center of Photography, which although recognizeable objects, not spectaculorly photographed. However, I'm most spoiled as I believe Brian's photography could easily match most I've seen this weekend.