Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Do Not Call the ASPCA or PETA

Statement: Mid-Atlantic Squirrels are not as smart as Squirrels in the Midwest.

Proof: How do I know this? Because, you see a significantly larger number of roadkill squirrels.

Reason: My theory is that winters are not cold enough in the Mid-Atlantic region to sufficiently naturally select the smarter of the bunch.

Now, before, you get upset or send the ASPCA after me or call PETA, please understand that I have no ill-will for the furry, little mammal. Really. I grew up where mosquitoes are the state bird; Bambi could be dinner; Nemo is caught through a hole from one of 10,000 frozen lakes; home to Blatz, Schlitz and Pabst; where real football is played outside on the frozen tundra; and where lutefisk isn't just for breakfast any more.

Truly, I like them. They provide plenty of entertainment for our squirrel-proof bird feeders. And, we even feed them corn from a squngee (very entertaining!).

What the cars fail to select, the red fox in our neighbor's bush completes.

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine sent the answer:

    "It has everything to do with state budgets and whether the state or county manages roadkill.

    Some states, Pennsylvania and Virginia, leave specimens until they self-implode with parasites.

    Other states, Maryland, New Jersey, seem to have an implant that sends a message to big brother immediately upon the animal’s demise.

    White trucks immediately appear and sweep the evidence away.

    Why do I know this?
    When we were taking parasitology my junior year of college, the lax roadkill laws were a boon to some of my peers who used the extended time to collect interesting parasitic specimens for our required collection. We each had to collect 5 and every parasite beyond 5 would add a point to our final grade. Thus, there was strong incentive to boost our overall grade by scouting roadkill. We also had the chance to boost our final grade by eating mealworms and other assorted bugs. I choose the collection, but used a veterinarian’s office to do my collecting.

    Ah, life was simpler then. But the roadkill of Virginia is a reminder of a fun class."

    ReplyDelete