Sunday, December 07, 2008

"Pearl"man

Part of my birthday present this year was a subscription to several concerts at The Kennedy Center. Last night's concert was National Symphony Orchestra: Itzhak Perlman, conductor & violin. They performed J. S. Bach's Violin Concerto in A minor. He also conducted Mozart's "Haffner" Symphony and Tchaikovsky's "Pathétique" Symphony.

It was quite amazing. I had not seen Perlman in live concert before, so I didn't realize that he had lost the use of his legs after he contracted Polio at the age of four. He performs and conducts while sitting down. Nevertheless, he does nearly magical things with his Stradivarius.

Well, it might not be Perlman, but if you haven't been to a symphony concert recently, you really must go. If you're in a bigger city, you'll obviously have options; however, even if you're in a smaller college town, go to a concert! Every time I go, I realize how much you miss the nuances from just a recording.

1 comment: